The Cadillac ELR is a luxurious electric car, and like any other vehicle, it is subject to mechanical issues. One of the most common issues with the ELR is a malfunctioning heater.
A broken heater can be inconvenient and uncomfortable during the winter months. Fortunately, there are some simple causes and solutions to this issue.
The cause of a Cadillac ELR heater issue could be due to a faulty thermostat, clogged heater core, or a lack of coolant. To fix the issue, check the thermostat and replace if it is broken, flush the heater core to remove any blockages, check the coolant levels, and top up if necessary.
In this article, we will go over the most common causes of the Cadillac ELR heater issues and how to fix them.
Reasons Your Cadillac ELR Heater Is Not Working
The Cadillac ELR is a luxurious vehicle with many features. Unfortunately, like any car, it can have issues with its heater. Below are some common causes of this issue:
- Low Coolant Levels: Low coolant levels are one of the most common causes of a non-working heater in the Cadillac ELR. Low coolant levels can be caused by a leak in the cooling system or by coolant that has evaporated over time.
- Faulty Thermostat: A faulty thermostat is another common cause of a non-working heater in the Cadillac ELR. The thermostat is responsible for regulating the engine’s temperature; when it malfunctions, it can cause the heater to stop working.
- Blocked or Damaged Heater Core: The heater core is responsible for transferring heat from the engine to the cabin of the ELR. If the heater core is blocked or damaged, it may not be able to transfer enough heat to the cabin, and the heater will not work.
- Faulty Heater Control Valve: The heater control valve controls the coolant flow to the heater core. If the valve is faulty, it may not be able to open and close properly, preventing the coolant from flowing to the heater core.
- Electrical Problems: Electrical problems can also cause a non-working heater in the ELR. Various issues, such as faulty wiring, a blown fuse, or a malfunctioning control module, can cause electrical problems.
How to Fix a Cadillac ELR Heater that Is Not Working?
Cadillac ELR cars are known for their luxurious and comfortable features, but a malfunctioning heater can quickly make for a cold and uncomfortable ride. If your Cadillac ELR heater is not working properly, here are some steps you can take to get your car back in working order.
1. Check the Coolant Level
The first step in troubleshooting a malfunctioning heater is to check the coolant level in your car. The coolant is responsible for regulating the engine temperature and ensuring that the heater works properly. If the coolant level is low, you may need to add more coolant. It is recommended that you use the same type of coolant that was originally installed in your car.
2. Check the Thermostat
The thermostat is responsible for regulating the temperature of the coolant. If the thermostat is stuck in the closed position, it can prevent the coolant from flowing through the engine, which can result in a malfunctioning heater. To check the thermostat, you will need to remove it and inspect it for any signs of damage. If the thermostat is damaged, you will need to replace it.
3. Check for a Leak
If the coolant level is low and the thermostat is working properly, you may have a leak somewhere in the cooling system. To check for a leak, you will need to inspect all the hoses and connections in the cooling system. If you find a leak, you have to repair it before adding more coolant.
4. Check the Heater Core
If the coolant level is correct, the thermostat is working properly, and there are no leaks in the cooling system, the problem could be with the heater core. The heater core transfers heat from the engine to the car’s cabin. If the heater core is blocked or damaged, it can prevent the heat from reaching the cabin. To check the heater core, you will need to remove it and inspect it for any signs of damage. If it is damaged, you will need to replace it.
5. Contact a Professional
If you have checked all of the above and your Cadillac ELR heater is still not working properly, it may be time to contact a professional. A professional mechanic can diagnose the problem and provide the necessary repairs to get your car back in working order.
How to Reset Your Cadillac ELR Heater?
If you’re having trouble with your Cadillac ELR heater, you may need to reset it. Resetting the heater can help to restore it to its normal operation and provide you with comfortable heating for your vehicle. Here are some tips on how to reset your Cadillac ELR heater.
- Check the Fuse: The first step to resetting your heater is to check the fuse. If the fuse is blown, you’ll need to replace it with a new one. This should be done before attempting any other resetting steps.
- Disconnect the Battery: Once the fuse has been checked, you’ll need to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes. This will reset the heater’s control module and give it a chance to reset itself.
- Reconnect the Battery: After 10 minutes, you can reconnect the battery, and the heater should be reset.
- Test the Heater: Once the battery has been reconnected, you can turn it on to test it to ensure it is working properly. If it appears to be working correctly, you can turn off the heater, and you’re done.
How to Replace a Faulty Heater Core in a Cadillac ELR?
Replacing a faulty heater core in a Cadillac ELR can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. You can complete this job with the right tools and patience. Here are some steps to help you get the job done:
- Gather the Necessary Tools: To replace the heater core, you will need a new heater core, a drain pan, a flathead screwdriver, a Phillips head screwdriver, a socket wrench set, a tube of sealant, and some rags.
- Disconnect the Battery: Before you start, it is important to disconnect the battery to avoid any electrical shocks.
- Remove the Dashboard: To access the heater core, you will need to remove the dashboard. Use the flathead and Phillips head screwdrivers to remove the screws that hold the dashboard in place.
- Drain the Coolant: Once the dashboard is removed, you will need to drain the coolant from the vehicle. Place a drain pan underneath the coolant reservoir and open the drain valve. Once the coolant has drained, close the valve and move the drain pan.
- Remove the Heater Core: To access the heater core, you will need to remove the heater hoses. Use the socket wrench to loosen the hose clamps, and then carefully remove the hoses. Once the hoses are removed, you can access the heater core. Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the heater core from the vehicle.
- Install the New Heater Core: It is time to install the new one. Connect the electrical connectors and the hoses, making sure they are tight. Use a tube of sealant to ensure a tight fit.
- Reinstall the Dashboard: Once the new heater core is in place, you can reinstall the dashboard. Use the flathead and Phillips head screwdrivers to secure the dashboard.
- Refill the Coolant: After the dashboard is back in place, you will need to refill the coolant reservoir. Use the manufacturer’s recommended coolant and follow the instructions on the label.
Your Cadillac ELR heater may not working because of various issues, such as a faulty thermostat, clogged heater core, or low coolant levels. Fortunately, these issues can be easily fixed by a qualified technician or by following some DIY tips.
If the issue persists, it is important to take the necessary precautions and take your car to a trusted mechanic. Regular maintenance and service of your car can help you avoid such problems in the future.