Wondering how to set up your Govee Light Bulb? Read to find out even how you can use your voice to control the bulb.
Setting up a Govee light bulb involves three basic steps:
- You have to first install the bulb.
- Connect the bulb to the Govee app.
- Then connect it to a strong Wi-Fi.
In this article, you will learn these three setup activities including how to control your bulb with your voice.
How To Install the Bulb
Image via Flickr by Shop8447
Follow these steps to install your light bulb.
- Switch off the power control of the electric lamp holder you intend to use.
- Screw the bulb into the holder by turning it clockwise gently.
How To Connect Govee Light Bulb to the Govee App
To connect your light bulb to the Govee App, follow the steps below.
- Download the Govee Home App.
- Register a new account.
- Connect your Govee Light bulb to a functioning lamp holder.
- Turn on the Bluetooth device of your phone.
- On the Govee Home App. Click on the add button icon [+] on the top right corner of your screen. Search for H6003 and connect it to the app.
Once you have done these, the bulb should be connected to the app. All that is left is to connect the bulb to your Wi-Fi. Follow the steps below.
How To Connect Govee Light Bulb to Wi-Fi
- Turn the bulb on and off four times. Leave it on at the fifth attempt. The bulb should pulse slowly indicating a Wi-Fi pairing mode.
- On your Govee Home App, enter the password for your Home Wi-Fi.
- Go to the setting page of your smartphone’s Wi-Fi to find the bulb’s hotspot named Govee_bulb_H6003.
- If you cannot find the hotspot, ensure you move your phone closer to the bulb.
- At this point, your phone will likely show no network connection; ignore the notification.
- When you return to the Govee Home App, you will be notified that the light bulb has been paired. Press OK.
Once you have connected the bulb to the app, you can change the color and control its switch. Mind you, you can also connect your bulb to Alexa to enjoy the voice command feature.
How To Connect Govee Light Bulb to Alexa
Follow the steps below to connect your Smart Plug with Alexa.
- Download and install Alexa on Playstore or your preferred app store. You can ignore this step if already have the app installed on your phone.
- Tap the options button at the top left corner of your screen to bring the available options.
- From the options shown, find and tap Smart Home
- On the next screen, find the caption that reads “Your Smart Home Skills” and tap it.
- Find and tap the button that reads “Enable Smart Home Skills” on the next screen.
- You will find a search bar on the next screen. Type Govee Home in the bar.
- From the suggestions provided, tap Govee Home and click enable to connect the app with Alexa.
- Provide your login details to give authorized access and click on the link to connect the applications.
- At this point, you can choose to add your light to a group or skip the process.
As a matter of fact, Alexa gives you easy control over your light bulb, especially as it concerns voice commands.
Troubleshooting Govee Light Bulb Wi-Fi Issues
Image via Flickr by HowardLake
Here are some reasons Govee Light Bulb won’t connect to your home Wi-Fi:
- Your Wi-Fi signal is weak. If the problem is due to a weak signal, try the following:
- Move the light bulb closer to the wi-fi router and check if the signal strength will improve.
- Switch off the Wi-Fi router and switch it on again after about 10 seconds.
- If the connection is still not working, reset the light bulb. To do this, switch off the bulb and switch it on again four times.
- If the device still refuses to connect, reactivate it on the app. To do this, you have to delete the device using the ‘My Device’ option on the app and leave it off for some minutes. Afterward, switch on the light and reconnect it on the app.
- Your internet is not compatible.
In addition, all Govee lights work with a 2.4GhZ Wi-Fi connection. Mind you, most Wi-Fi networks are either 2.4GhZ or 5GhZ. Thus, you may need to check the strength of your Wi-Fi network.
- Try connecting your bulb to another Wi-Fi.
If you tried all the options and the device still fail to connect, you need to request Govee’s support service.
| You may want to check our article on Teckin Smart Plug Setup Instruction here.
Troubleshooting Your Bulb’s Connection Issues
- My bulb is not connecting to Govee Home.
Try the following:
- Check the visibility of your smartphone’s Bluetooth device. If the visibility is off, turn it on and reconnect the device.
- Try to switch off the bulb and switch it on again. After this, try reconnecting the device.
- When connecting the bulb for the first time, ensure you bring your phone closer to the device.
- I want multiple users to control my bulb.
To enable multiple user access, all you have to do is give the other users access to your account. Mind you, Govee light bulbs can only be managed by one account.
- How many bulbs can I connect to my Govee App?
You can connect up to 50 bulbs to your Govee Home App.
In conclusion, Govee light bulb is a smart bulb used in many smarthomes. As a smart bulb, it works with an active network connection and compatible mobile applications. As long as you follow the required setup instructions, you will always enjoy using your Govee light bulb.