Besides Huawei, Xiaomi is one of the biggest Chinese phone brands gaining explosive popularity all over the world.
Its phones are known for their rugged and sleek design and mind-blowing battery life.
Before you buy a Xiaomi phone, you might want to know how long its battery lasts. We answer Xiaomi.
Here is the short answer to how long Xiaomi phone batteries last:
A Xiaomi phone battery lasts between 6.5 hours to 3 days on a single charge and has a lifespan of about 2 to 3 years. The model of Xiaomi brand you use may determine how long your battery lasts. For instance, while a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 battery may last up to 60 hours, a Redmi Note 3 may only last 6.5 hours.
Why Is My Xiaomi Phone Battery Draining Fast?
You may notice that your battery drains fast, even after it has been fully charged. Here are some reasons your Xiaomi battery doesn’t last long:
1. Keeping Your Wi-Fi, internet, or GPS Activity on
The Wi-Fi, internet connection and GPS of a Xiaomi phone require relatively massive amounts of battery life to function.
As a result, keeping them on throughout the day will drain your battery faster than usual.
2. Phone Brightness
Increased phone brightness can eat up the battery life of your Xiaomi phone.
So, if your battery is draining fast, it might be a sign that you need to reduce the brightness of your screen.
3. Apps Running in the Background
Social media apps like Facebook and YouTube use up your battery life.
If you don’t kill these apps on your phone immediately after you finish using them, they will keep running in the background.
And they may drain your battery.
4. Playing Games
Playing games with high-definition graphics can drain your battery life.
That said, not all games are power-draining—games with lower-quality use up less power than their high-definition counterparts.
Your battery is more likely to drain faster if you wait until it dies before you charge it.
Which Xiaomi Phone Has the Best Battery?
According to our research, here are the top Xiaomi phones with the best battery life:
- Xiaomi Black Shark 3 Pro (6000 mAh)
- Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Life (5260 mAh)
- Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro (5000 mAh)
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (5020 mAh)
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro (5020 mAh)
When Should I Replace My Xiaomi Phone Battery?
To get the best out of your Xiaomi phone, replace the battery immediately it loses its optimum charge capacity.
The optimum charge capacity of an average Xiaomi phone only lasts about 2-3 years. So, it’s best to replace your battery 2-3 years after using it.
READ NEXT: How Long Do Razer Phone Batteries Last?
How Can I Tell Which App Is Draining My Xiaomi Battery?
If you observe that your battery is draining faster than it should, maybe you’ve installed a power-hungry app on your phone.
If you have many apps on your phone, you might find it difficult to tell which app is draining your battery on your own.
Follow these steps to identify the apps that eat up your battery life:
- Open the ‘Settings’ icon on your phone
- Scroll down and click on ‘About Phone’
- Select ‘Battery Use’ on the menu that appears next
- You will find a list of the apps on your phone and their level of battery usage
- Choose any top consumers of your battery that you rarely use and click the ‘Force Stop’ button
If you download new apps often, we suggest that you visit the ‘Battery Use’ menu regularly to monitor the battery usage of the apps on your phone.
How Can I Tell If My Xiaomi Phone Needs a New Battery?
Here are signs that your Xiaomi phone needs a replacement battery:
- Battery doesn’t charge when it is plugged
- The battery drains quickly
- Your phone reboots without your prompting
- Your battery overheats
- Your battery bumps up
If you notice any of these signs, buy a new battery.
You can call the customer service center to get a free replacement if it develops a fault within its warranty period.
However, if your battery is out of warranty, purchase a new battery at a local service shop.
How Can I Improve My Xiaomi Battery Life?
Here are ways to improve your Xiaomi phone’s battery life:
1. Reduce the brightness level of your screen manually
Your Xiaomi phone comes with an auto-brightness feature that automatically adjusts the brightness of your screen in daylight and at night. However, this feature uses up your battery.
So, if you want to use your battery for a long time, disable the automatic brightness feature and reduce the brightness of your phone manually.
To disable the auto-brightness feature, click on the ‘Settings’ icon and select ‘Brightness’. Then, disable the automatic brightness feature in the menu that appears.
2. Activate the Battery Saving Mode
Switching on the Battery Saving mode will automatically turn off GPS, and close apps running in the background.
Follow these steps to turn on the battery saving mode:
- Click on Settings
- Then, select ‘Battery and Performance’
- Now, you need to click on ‘Power’ in the menu that appears
- Click on ‘Turn on Battery Saver’
You can also schedule the battery saver to come on at a particular time, probably around the time you fall asleep.
3. Disable System Animations
System animations are another feature that consume a lot of battery life.
Since most Xiaomi phones have ‘System Animations’ turned on by default, you have to disable it yourself.
You can disable System Animation in the ‘Battery’ menu under the ‘Settings’ icon.
4. Turn Off Wi-Fi and GPS features
Wi-Fi and GPS are two features of your phone that consume a lot of battery life. To improve your battery life, we advise you turn off Wi-Fi and GPS.
5. Reduce Screen Time
Since screen time eats up power, reducing screen time whenever you are not using your phone will save up battery life.
Reduce your screen time by doing the following:
- Click on ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Lock screen and password.’
- Now, click on ‘Sleep’ and select ’15 sec’.
Why Does My Phone Drain When Not in Use?
You check your phone battery after you’ve abandoned it for hours and notice that your battery is drained.
Here are some issues that can cause this:
- You’ve left your Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, data connection or GPS on. These features eat up your battery life.
- Some apps are running in the background. Most apps, especially games with high-definition graphics, will drain your battery.
To prevent future occurrences, switch off the Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth; and close all background apps when you are not using your phone.
How to Check the Health of Your Xiaomi Battery
Xiaomi phones offer you the option to check the health of your battery when you’ve been using it for a while.
All you have to do to is dial *#*#6485#*# on your phone to know the health status of your battery. It can also tell you whether your battery needs a replacement.
When you enter this code on your dial interface, you will find a list of codes. You only need 2 of them to determine the health of your battery: MF_05 and MF_06.
The formula for checking the percentage of your battery’s health is MF_05 ×MF_06 ÷ 100. If your answer is less than 80%, you need to replace your battery.
Xiaomi Phone Battery Charging Tips
Here are tips for charging your Xiaomi phone battery effectively:
- Don’t use your phone while charging your battery.
- Avoid wireless charging bases and fast chargers, as they can make your device develop an abnormal temperature.
- Avoid cheap, low-quality chargers.
- Unplug your phone immediately it is fully charged. Avoid overcharging.