If you’re an owner of a Toyota Hilux, you may know the keyless entry system allows you to access your vehicle without needing a physical key. However, it can also make your vehicle vulnerable to theft if the system is not properly secured.
To protect your car from potential thieves, you have to disable the keyless entry system in your car. So, how to disable keyless entry system in Toyota Hilux to prevent theft?
Typically, to disable the keyless entry system in a Toyota Hilux to prevent theft, you will need to remove the keyless entry system’s control module from the vehicle. However, you should also remove the antenna and associated wiring to ensure the system is completely disabled.
In this guide, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to disable the keyless entry system in your Toyota Hilux to prevent theft.
How Does the Keyless Entry System Work in Toyota Hilux?
The Toyota Hilux is a popular pickup truck that has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its impressive performance and reliability. One of the features that make the Hilux so attractive is its keyless entry system.
This system allows drivers to unlock and start their vehicles without using a physical key. Keyless entry systems use a combination of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology and a computerized transponder inside the vehicle.
The RFID reader emits a signal that the transponder can read. The transponder then sends a signal to the vehicle’s security system confirming the user’s identity. If the signal is confirmed, the system will unlock the vehicle’s doors and allow the user to start the vehicle.
Advantages of Disabling the Keyless Entry System in Toyota Hilux
The Toyota Hilux has many features that make it an attractive choice, but its keyless entry system is one of the most attractive features. While this system provides convenience and security, disabling it has some advantages.
- Improved Security: Disabling the keyless entry system on your Toyota makes it more difficult for thieves to enter the vehicle. With the system enabled, a thief could gain entry to the vehicle through various methods, such as using a code or a scanner to access the vehicle. By disabling the system, the thief would have to physically break into the vehicle or use a heavy-duty tool to gain access.
- Reduced Cost: The keyless entry system can be an expensive feature to maintain and repair. Disabling it can help to reduce the overall cost of ownership by eliminating the need for repairs or replacements.
- Reduced Wear and Tear: The keyless entry system can take a lot of wear and tear over time, especially if it is used frequently. Disabling it can reduce the amount of wear and tear it experiences, extending its life and reducing the need for repairs.
- Reduced Risk of Accidents: The keyless entry system can be a distraction while driving, as drivers may become distracted by trying to locate the key fob or accidentally press the wrong button. Disabling the system can reduce the risk of accidents by eliminating this potential source of distraction.
How to Disable Keyless Entry System in Toyota Hilux to Prevent Theft?
If you’re the owner of a Toyota Hilux and you want to prevent theft, one of the best things you can do is disable your keyless entry system. Here are the steps you need to take to do this:
- Locate the Keyless Entry Control Unit: The first step in disabling the keyless entry system in a Toyota Hilux is to locate the keyless entry control unit. This unit is typically located in the driver’s side door panel near the door handle.
- Disconnect the Control Unit from the Vehicle: Once the control unit has been located, it will need to be disconnected from the vehicle. You can easily do that by loosening the screws that secure the unit to the door panel and carefully disconnecting the wiring harness from the unit.
- Disconnect the Battery: Once the control unit has been disconnected from the vehicle, it will be necessary to disconnect the battery to ensure that the keyless entry system does not become active again. In that case, you have to unplug the battery terminals and securely tap them together.
- Install a Mechanical Lock: To further discourage theft, it is recommended that a mechanical lock be installed on the driver’s side door of the Toyota Hilux. This will prevent anyone from gaining access to the vehicle without a key.
- Secure the Vehicle: Finally, it is important to take additional steps to secure the vehicle, such as parking it in a secure location and using a steering wheel lock or other anti-theft devices. These measures will help ensure that the vehicle remains safe from theft.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Disabling The Keyless Entry System In Toyota Hilux?
The answer to this question is a definite yes. Disabling the keyless entry system on a Toyota Hilux could put you at risk of becoming a victim of theft. Here’s why. When you disable the keyless entry system on a Toyota Hilux, you are essentially removing the electronic locking mechanism from the vehicle.
As a result, anyone who wants access to the Hilux will no longer have to use the key fob to unlock the doors. This means the vehicle can be opened much more easily, making it more vulnerable to potential thefts.
After disabling the keyless entry system on your Toyota Hilux, you should install more robust locking systems in the car. You can also still use the manual locking system to lock your car’s doors.
Is It Possible to Re-Enable the Keyless Entry System in Toyota Hilux?
Yes, it is possible to re-enable the keyless entry system in a Toyota Hilux. This feature is one of the most useful features that the vehicle offers, allowing you to unlock your vehicle without having to use a physical key.
With the keyless entry system, you can unlock your vehicle with a button, making it much easier to access your vehicle. Re-enabling the keyless entry system in a Toyota Hilux is relatively simple and can be done in just a few steps.
Disabling the keyless entry system in a Toyota Hilux is a great way to prevent theft. It ensures that the car cannot be unlocked without the correct key and helps to provide an extra layer of security.
Although disabling the keyless entry system may be inconvenient at times, it is well worth it for the peace of mind it provides. Following the steps outlined in this article, “how to disable keyless entry system in Toyota Hilux to prevent theft?” you can easily and quickly disable the keyless entry system in your Toyota Hilux.