Have you got a Maxcio smart plug and you do not know how to set it up? Read to find out even how you can connect the plug with Alexa and Google Home.
Setting up a Maxcio smart plug is easy, as long as you have a smartphone and a good Wi-Fi connection. Mind you, Maxcio smart plugs are designed to work with your smartphone as its remote controller. As such, you need to know how to connect the plug to your smartphone.
How To Activate Your Maxcio Smart Plug
- Download the Smartlife app.
- Click on the add device button to select your device type.
- Click on ‘electrical outlet’.
- Power on the Smart plug.
- Input your Wi-Fi password and wait for the device to connect.
- You will be prompted to modify your device.
- Click on ‘done’ when you have given your smart plug a name. You can as well skip the step that prompts you to give your smart plug a name.
How To Switch On the Plug
- Plug it into a power socket.
- Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds. You will find the power button by the side of the plug. Once the plug is on, you will observe an LED light blinking rapidly on the plug.
With the Smartlife app, you can control your plug with your phone. Just ensure that the plug is always connected to your Wi-Fi network as it cannot function properly without it.
In addition, you can also activate voice control for your Maxcio smart plug. All you have to do is connect it with Alexa or Google Home. You will find detailed information on how to go about this in the next sections.
How To Connect the Plug With Google Home
Note that it is best to connect the plug with Smartlife before connecting it with Google Home and Alexa.
- Download and install the Google Home App. Open the app when you are done downloading it.
- Find the button that reads “Accounts” at the bottom of your screen and tap it.
- On the next screen, find and tap ‘Set up or Add” and click on ‘Set up device’.
- On the next screen, tap the icon that reads ‘Works with Google’.
- Use the search icon to search and find the Smartlife App.
- Tap the app’s icon and provide your login details.
- Select your Maxcio device on the next screen and tap next.
- Modify your device by following the instructions on the screen.
With Google Home, you can give voice commands to your smart plug with the aid of Google Assistant. All you simply have to do is begin your commands with the words ‘OK Google…’.
How To Connect Your Maxcio Smart Plug With Alexa
- Download and install Alexa on Playstore or your preferred app store. You can ignore this step if you already have the app installed on your phone.
- Tap the options button at the top left corner of your screen to bring the available options.
- From the options shown, find and tap Smart Home.
- On the next screen, find the caption that reads “Your Smart Home Skills” and tap it.
- Find and tap the button that reads “Enable Smart Home Skills” on the next screen.
- You will find a search bar on the next screen. Type Smartlife in the bar to find the Smartlife app.
- Tap Smartlife and click enable to connect the app with Alexa.
- Provide your login details to give authorized access and click on the link to connect the applications.
- Find a button that reads “Discover Devices” on the next screen and click it.
With the above instructions, you should be able to control the plug using the Alexa voice command. As long as you are connected to an active network, you will enjoy the Alexa voice command feature.
Moreover, you can encounter several other issues with your smart plug. This is why we have provided answers to some common issues associated with smart plugs in this setup instructions. Read a little further to find out.
How Do I Reset the Smart Plug?
To reset the plug, simply press and hold the power button for about 5-10 seconds. You will observe that the LED light of the plug will start blinking rapidly. This indicates that the plug is on and ready to connect with Wi-Fi.
| Find our article on Feit Electric Smart Plug here.
Why Is My Maxcio Smart Plug Not Connecting to a Wi-Fi Network?
Image via Flickr by Howard Lake
Your Maxcio smart plug may not connect with your Wi-Fi network due to either of the following reasons.
- Your Wi-Fi network is not a 2.4GHz network. Note that Maxcio smart plugs only work with a 2.4GHz network.
- Your smart plug may not be properly placed on pairing mode. Check to see if the plug is blinking rapidly. If otherwise, reset the plug.
- Your Wi-Fi router may be too far away from your smart plug. Move it closer to the plug.
In conclusion, Maxcio smart plug has no native application. Rather, it works with the Smartlife app as well as other compatible software such as Alexa and Google Home.