Wondering how you can set up a Merkury smart plug? Read to find out even how you can activate voice commands for the plug.
Setting up a Merkury smart plug is so easy as long as you have a smartphone. To set up the plug, you have to do the following:
- Download the Geeni Companion app;
- Switch on your Merkury smart plug; and
- Activate the plug through the app.
Setting Up a Merkury Smart Plug
As stated earlier, you can only set up your Merkury smart plug via a smartphone. This is simply because the smartphone is designed to serve as its remote device. Follow the steps below to connect your smart plug with your smartphone.
- Download the Geeni Companion app and register a new account.
- Use your phone number or email address to register and create a password.
- Plug your smart plug into an active power socket and switch it on. To switch it on, press and hold the power button (on the side) for about 5 seconds. You will observe a blue light blinking rapidly on it.
- On your Geeni app, tap the ‘add a device’ icon (+) on the top right corner of your screen.
- After doing this, tap the button that reads ‘Smart Power’.
- Connect the smart plug to your Wi-Fi network by providing your Wi-Fi password.
At this point, your Merkury smart plug should connect to the Geeni app. However, if the device failed to connect, try reconnecting it using AP Mode. Follow the instructions below to do this.
Using AP Mode
- Ensure the smart plug is on and blinking rapidly.
- On the Geeni Companion app, tap the + sign and tap smart power.
- On the next screen, tap AP Mode. You will find AP Mode towards the top right corner of your screen.
- Tap the ‘next’ button and provide your Wi-Fi login details on the next screen.
- Find the Merkury Smart plug amongst the hotspot that you will see next and tap it.
- Tap ‘Connect Now’ and wait for the Geeni app to connect with your smart plug.
Now that you have discovered how to set up a Merkury smart plug, activating voice command is next. Moreover, it is important to note that Merkury smart plugs are compatible with Google Home and Alexa.
How To Connect the Plug With Google Home
- Download and install the Google Home App. Open the app when you are done downloading it.
- Find the button that reads “Accounts” at the bottom of your screen and tap it.
- On the next screen, find and tap ‘Set up or Add” and click on ‘Set up device’.
- On the next screen, tap the icon that reads ‘Works with Google’.
- Use the search icon to search and find the Geeni Companion App.
- Tap the app’s icon and provide your login details.
- Select your Merkury device on the next screen and tap next.
- Modify your device by following the instructions on the screen.
With Google Home, you can give voice commands to your smart plug with the aid of Google Assistant. All you simply have to do is begin your commands with the words ‘OK Google…’.
How To Connect Your Merkury Smart Plug With Alexa
- Download and install Alexa on Playstore or App store.
- Tap the options button at the top left corner of your screen.
- From the options shown, find and tap ‘Skills and Games’.
- You will find a search bar at the top corner of the next screen. Tap it and type Geeni in the bar to find the Geeni Companion app.
- Tap Geeni and click ‘Enable to Use’ to connect the app with Alexa.
- Provide your login details to give authorized access and click on the link to connect the applications.
- Select ‘done’ and tap the button that reads “Discover Devices” on the next screen.
- Give the device some seconds to connect
With the above instructions, you should be able to control the plug using the Alexa voice command. As long as you are connected to an active network, you will enjoy the Alexa voice command feature.
What is more? You also need to know some common issues related to the use of smart plugs. Some notable ones among these issues are highlighted below.
How Do I Reset My Merkury Smart Plug?
Image via Merkury Innovation
To reset the plug, press and hold the power button for about 5-10 seconds. You will observe that the LED light of the plug will start blinking rapidly. This indicates that the plug is on and ready to connect with a Wi-Fi network.
Why Is My Merkury Smart Plug Not Connecting to a Wi-Fi Network?
If your smart plug refuses to connect with your Wi-Fi, it may be because of one of the reasons below.
- Your Wi-Fi network is not a 2.4GHz network. Note that Merkury smart plugs only work with a 2.4GHz network.
- Your smart plug may not be properly placed on pairing mode. Check to see if the plug is blinking rapidly. If otherwise, reset the plug.
- Move your Wi-Fi router closer to your plug.
| Read our next article on Maxcio Smart Plug here.
Alexa command is not working for my smart plug
- Ensure you enable voice assistant for your plug.
- Make sure you are using the right commands for your plug. To use Alexa voice commands, begin your command with the word ‘Alexa…’
In conclusion, Merkury smart plugs allow you to control your electrical plug via your phone. As such, you need to know how to set it up. As long as you have the right setup guide for the plug, you will enjoy your smart plug experience.