Do you need to set up your new Kasa Smart plug? Find the right setup instructions here. You will also discover how you can set up voice control for your smart plug.
Setting up a Kasa Smart plug involves three simple steps:
- Switching on the plug;
- Activating the plug on the Kasa App; and
- Connecting the plug to a Wi-Fi network.
Switching On the Plug
Image via Pinterest by AstridCaraa
To switch on a Kasa smart plug, all you have to do is plug it into an active power socket. Afterward, locate the switch button on the side of the plug and press it for about 5 seconds. At this point, the plug should start blinking a blue light rapidly to indicate that it is on.
Activating a Kasa Smart Plug
You can activate your Kasa smart plug by connecting the plug with the Kasa app. To do this, simply follow the steps below.
- Download and install TP Link’s Kasa App.
- Open the app and create an account using your valid email address.
- Click on the ‘add a device’ button (+) at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select the device type you want to install. In this case, you are installing a smart plug lite/mini.
- Click on connect to Wi-Fi and provide your Wi-Fi login details. Ensure your smart plug is still blinking rapidly before doing this. If otherwise, switch on the plug again.
- Once the plug has connected to your Wi-Fi, you can start controlling it via your smartphone. Moreover, you can name the plug on the Kasa app to enable you to identify it.
Having activated your Kasa smart plug, you are already on course to enjoying smart access to your home electronics. Mind you, you can enhance the performance of your smart plug by connecting it to another app. Some of these applications include Google Home and Alexa.
By connecting your smart plug to Google Home or Alexa, you can activate the voice command feature for your plug. That is, you can command your plug to go on/off using your voice.
Find information on how to achieve this below.
How To Connect Kasa Smart Plug With Alexa
Follow the steps below to connect your Kasa Smart Plug with Alexa. Mind you, you should connect the plug with the Kasa app before Alexa.
- Download and install Alexa on Playstore or App store.
- Tap the home button at the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Tap the ‘add device’ icon (+) at the top right corner of your screen and click on ‘Add Device’.
- Find and tap the Kasa app on the next screen and click the button that reads ‘CONTINUE’.
- On the next screen, tap ‘Enable To Use’ and provide the login details of your Kasa account.
- Tap ‘Done’ on the next screen. You will find the button at the top left corner of your screen.
- Select ‘Discover Devices on the next screen and allow Alexa to discover your Kasa Smart plug. Once this is done, you can click on ‘set up devices’ at the bottom of your screen.
- You will be prompted to either add your light to a group or skip the process. The next thing to do is to click on ‘DONE’.
By following these steps accordingly, you should be able to use your voice to control your Kasa smart plug. Mind you, you should start your voice command with the word ‘Alexa…’. For example, ‘Alexa, switch on my plug.’
As stated earlier, you can also connect your Kasa smart plug with the Google Home app. Use the next instructions to achieve this.
How To Connect the Plug With Google Home
Before you proceed with the setup instructions, ensure you have connected your Kasa smart plug with the Kasa app.
- Download and install the Google Home App. Open the app when you are done downloading it.
- Find the button that reads “Accounts” at the bottom of your screen and tap it.
- On the next screen, find and tap ‘Set up or Add” and click on ‘Set up device’.
- Thereafter, tap the icon that reads ‘Works with Google’.
- Use the search icon to search and find Kasa App.
- Tap the Kasa App and provide your login details.
- Select your Kasa device and tap next.
- Modify your device by following the instructions on the screen.
With this guide, you should be able to give commands to your Smart Plug using Google Assistant. All you simply have to do is begin your command with the words ‘Ok Google,…’.
Furthermore, it is important for you to also know some troubleshooting tips in case your Kasa smart plug misbehaves. Find some troubleshooting tips below.
| Read next How To Set Up Merkury Smart Plug
Troubleshooting Your Kasa Smart Plug
Can’t connect my plug to my Wi-Fi network
- Ensure you are connecting the plug to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network. Do note that Kasa smart plugs are only compatible with a 2.4GHz network.
Alexa can’t find my plug: This is what to do when Alexa can’t find your plug.
- Restart the plug and reconnect it with Alexa. To restart your plug, press and hold the power button until the LED indicator starts blinking rapidly.
My Plug Shows Offline
- If your plug shows offline on your app, check your Wi-Fi connection to see if it is still active. In case it is, deactivate the plug from the Wi-Fi and activate it again. You can as well connect to another 2.4GHz network.
In conclusion, Kasa smart plug mini gives you remote access to your home/office devices. However, without the right setup instructions, you may not enjoy the best experience with the plug.