If you’re a Nissan Rogue owner, you have experienced the dreaded Door Ajar light staying on even when all the doors are securely closed. This issue is frustrating, worrisome, and even dangerous, as it can drain your car battery and prevent you from locking your doors.
Typically, a faulty door latch causes the Door Ajar light to stay on in a Nissan Rogue. Replace the defective door latch with a new one to fix this issue.
If you’re facing this problem, don’t worry, you’re not alone, and there are ways to fix it. This article will discuss the causes of the Door Ajar light staying on and provide you with solutions to address the issue.
So, read on to learn how to resolve this problem and get back to driving your Nissan Rogue with peace of mind.
Reasons Your Nissan Rogue Door Ajar Light Stays On
There are several reasons why the Door Ajar light stays on in your Nissan Rogue, and identifying the root cause is crucial in finding the right solution to resolve the issue.
Let’s look at the most common causes of the Door Ajar light staying on in a Nissan Rogue.
- Faulty Door Latch: A defective door latch is one of the most common causes of the Door Ajar light staying on in a Nissan Rogue. When the latch doesn’t close correctly, the sensor that detects if the door is open or closed does not function properly, causing the Door Ajar light to stay on even when the door is shut.
- Damaged Door Sensor: Another reason the Door Ajar light stays on in your Nissan Rogue is a damaged door sensor. If the sensor malfunctions, it cannot detect when the door is closed, causing the Door Ajar light to stay on.
- Wiring Issues: Wiring problems can also cause the Door Ajar light to stay on. A loose or damaged wire in the circuit that connects the door sensor to the car’s computer system keeps the Door Ajar light on even when the door is securely closed.
- Malfunctioning Bcm: The Body Control Module (BCM) in your Nissan Rogue controls various functions, including the Door Ajar light. If the BCM is malfunctioning or not communicating correctly with the sensors and switches in the car, it causes the Door Ajar light to stay on, even when the doors are closed.
How to Diagnose the Nissan Rogue Door Ajar Light Staying On
You need to follow a systematic approach to diagnose the Door Ajar light staying on in your Nissan Rogue. Here are the methods you can use to identify the root cause of the issue:
- Inspection Of Door Latch: Inspect the door latch to ensure it functions correctly. Check if it’s closing securely and the latch mechanism is not damaged or worn out. If you find any issues, such as a broken spring or latch, it clearly indicates that the Door Ajar light staying on is due to a faulty door latch.
- Testing Of Door Sensor: If the door latch is working correctly, you should move to test the door sensor. Locate the sensor, which is usually located near the latch, and check for any damage or loose connections. Use a multimeter to test the sensor’s continuity and verify its functioning. If the sensor is malfunctioning or not detecting the door’s closing correctly, it is causing the Door Ajar light to stay on.
- Electrical System Diagnosis: If the door latch and sensor function correctly, you should thoroughly diagnose the electrical system. Check for any loose or damaged wires in the circuit that connects the sensor and the car’s computer system. Use a wiring diagram to identify the correct wires and test them using a multimeter.
How To Fix The Nissan Rogue Door Ajar Light Staying On?
If you have diagnosed the Door Ajar light staying on the issue in your Nissan Rogue, the next step is to fix it. Below are the methods you can use to resolve the problem.
- Repair Or Replacement Of Door Latch: If the door ajar light stays on due to a faulty door latch, repair or replace it.
- Repair Or Replacement Of Door Sensor: Repair or replace the door sensor if it is malfunctioning.
- Fixing Wiring Issues: If the Door Ajar light stays on due to wiring issues, you must locate and repair the damaged wires or connections.
- Replacement Of Bcm: For a malfunctioning BCM, you need to replace it.
When to Consult a Professional
If you have tried to diagnose and fix the Door Ajar light staying on in your Nissan Rogue, but the issue persists, it’s time to consult a professional mechanic. The following are some situations when you should seek professional help:
- Lack Of Technical Knowledge: When unfamiliar with vehicle mechanics and electrical systems, it’s best to consult a professional mechanic. Trying to fix the issue without proper knowledge and expertise causes further damage to your car.
- Complex Repairs: If the Door Ajar light stays on and requires complex repairs, such as replacing the BCM, it’s best to take your car to a certified mechanic with the necessary skills and equipment.
- Limited Time Or Resources: When you don’t have the time or resources to diagnose and fix the problem, it’s best to take your car to a professional mechanic. They can quickly identify and fix the issue, saving time and effort.
- Warranty Coverage: If your vehicle is still under warranty, taking it to a professional mechanic will ensure that the repairs are covered and performed by a certified technician.
To avoid the Door Ajar light staying on issue from occurring in the future, it’s essential to take preventative measures. In this part, we will discuss some effective ways to prevent this issue and keep your Nissan Rogue functioning correctly:
Regular Maintenance Checks
Regular maintenance checks prevent the Door Ajar light staying on issue from occurring. Make sure to schedule regular maintenance checks with a certified mechanic and have them inspect your car’s electrical system, including the door sensors and latches.
Addressing Issues Promptly
If you notice any issues with your car’s doors, such as difficulty opening or closing, or if the Door Ajar light stays on, address them promptly. Delaying repairs lead to more severe problems and costly repairs.
Proper Use Of Vehicle Doors
Properly using your vehicle doors also prevent the Door Ajar light from staying on. Make sure to close the doors firmly and ensure that they’re fully closed before driving. Avoid slamming the doors shut, as this damages the door latches and sensors.
After reading this article, we hope you know why the Nissan Rogue door ajar light stays on and how to diagnose and fix it. By taking preventative measures outlined in the article, you can reduce the likelihood of the Door Ajar light staying on issue occurring in the future and keep your Nissan Rogue running smoothly.
The Nissan Rogue door ajar light stays on issue is frustrating, but it’s important to address it promptly to avoid further damage to your car. The causes of the problem range from faulty door latch to malfunctioning BCM, but with the right diagnosis and repairs, you can fix the issue and restore your car’s electrical system to its optimal function.
If you’re unfamiliar with car mechanics, it’s best to seek the help of a professional mechanic who can diagnose and fix the problem quickly and efficiently. To prevent this issue from occurring in the future, it’s important to schedule regular maintenance checks, address any issues promptly, and use your vehicle doors properly.